laura branigan funeral

"Gloria," a signature song from her debut album "Branigan," stayed on the pop charts for 36 weeks and earned her a Grammy nomination for best female pop vocalist, the first of four nominations in her career. The single I Believe was originally released on CD album in 1994. NEW YORK (AP) -- Laura Branigan, a Grammy-nominated pop singer best known for her 1982 platinum hit "Gloria," has died. Would you like to offer Laura Vescos loved ones a condolence message? Branigan died of a brain aneurysm Thursday in her sleep at her home in East Quogue, said her brother Mark Branigan. She began returning to performing in the early 2000s, most notably appearing as Janis Joplin in the off-Broadway musical Love, Janis. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. Branigan was born July 3, 1952, and grew up in Armonk, N.Y. She attended the Academy of Dramatic Arts in Manhattan. 1. ', "The 1982 song 'Gloria' is a hit again and singer Laura Branigan who died in 2004 keeps being asked to perform it live", "As fight over 'Gloria' NHL-related profits goes on, Laura Branigan's drummer remembers singer", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Laura_Branigan&oldid=1141144277, Neurological disease deaths in New York (state), CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2022, Official website different in Wikidata and Wikipedia, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Guest star in "Fox Trap" (season six, episode 16), Performer of "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" and "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town", Performer of "How am I Supposed to Live Without You" and "Solitaire", Guest star in "Murder MTV" (season one, episode nine), Co-host, performer of "Self Control" and "The Lucky One", Performer and composer of "If I Were a River", Guest star in "A Face for Radio" (season three, episode 19), Grand Prix Award for Best Vocal Performance, This page was last edited on 23 February 2023, at 15:56. Laura Branigan Funeral. Web. In 1972, Branigan met acoustic guitarist Walker Daniels and his future wife Sharon Storm, and acoustic guitarist Chris Van Cleave, forming the folk-rock band Meadow. The song was featured on the eighth episode of the first season of the TV series, Miami Vice, entitled "The Great McCarthy", which aired on November 16, 1984. Becoming a Find a Grave member is fast, easy and FREE. Branigan was born in Mount Kisco, New York and grew up in Armonk in Westchester County. On Branigan's seventh and final studio album Over My Heart (August 17, 1993), the singer again produced (with Phil Ramone), and wrote and arranged. Sorry! Editor's note: This article has been corrected. Just as Blues & city made a commitment to "Gloria" & Laura, I made a commitment to Blues & city as well! A reference to the latter song should have made clear she was not credited with co-writing it. A funeral service will be held on Thursday, March 2nd 2023 at 9:30 AM at 929 Bay Ridge Pkwy . Her signature song, the platinum-certified 1982 single \"Gloria\", stayed on the U.S. "Gloria" reappeared on the iTunes singles chart thanks to the trend, going to number 3 after the Blues won the Stanley Cup. [35], On April 18, 2019, Jain debuted a single titled "Gloria" that is not a cover, but a tribute to Branigan. NEW YORK Laura Branigan, a Grammy-nominated pop singer best known for her 1982 platinum hit "Gloria," has died. Branigan added production to her list of credits with her cover of Vicki Sue Robinson's disco-era "Turn the Beat Around" and the atmospheric "Let Me In", a cover of an Eddie Money song. Errol Flynn's Funeral In 1959. added by cherl12345. Resend Activation Email. After her run of success in the 1980s, her releases in the early 1990s attracted little attention. Laura Ann Branigan (July 3, 1952[nb 1] August 26, 2004) was an American singer, songwriter, and actress. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/9375990/laura-branigan. School records, newspaper articles written about her in the 1950s and 1960s, and testimonials from childhood friends all indicate she was born in 1952. Legal Statement. She also is best described as having grown up in Armonk, not Brewster, as the APs original obituary said. This browser does not support getting your location. In 1994, she sang a duet with David Hasselhoff called I Believe for the soundtrack of the television show Baywatch. She released a 13-track Best of Branigan LP the next year. For her 1990 self-titled album, see, "Play Gloria" association with St. Louis Blues. The original "Solitaire" was written and recorded in 1981 by French singer-songwriter Martine Clemenceau. and DJ Matt Cella obliged by putting on Branigan's catchy pop hit every commercial break. Failed to delete memorial. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. Laura we got you in heart forever.\rLaura I miss you so much,You gave me the music for life. Add interesting content and earn coins . Tena 47 aos. [2] She returned to performing in the early 2000s, most notably appearing as Janis Joplin in the off-Broadway musical Love, Janis. The funeral for Laura Branigan was held on August 23, 2004, at Saint Thomas the Apostle Church in Greenwich Village, New York City. Laura Branigan, singer and songwriter, was born in the upstate New York town of Brewster. Gloria, a signature song from her debut album Branigan, stayed on the pop charts for 36 weeks and earned her a Grammy nomination for best female pop vocalist, the first of four nominations in her career. Funeral services were scheduled for Monday. Celebrities who died young Club Join New Post. Laura nasceu em 3 de julho de 1952, na cidade de Mount Kisco, no Condado de Westchester, em Nova Iorque.Apaixonada por msica desde a infncia, comeou a cantar no coral de uma igreja em sua cidade natal. She was 52. She would later appear in independent films including Mugsy's Girls (aka Delta Pi, 1985) with Oscar-winner Ruth Gordon, and the Australian film Backstage. Billboard Hot 100 for 36 weeks, then a record for a female artist, peaking at No. Market data provided by Factset. Billboard Hot 100 for 36 weeks. Laura Branigan, who has died of a brain aneurysm aged 47, was a powerful singer with a five-octave range who in an earlier generation would have graced the Broadway . Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account. The first single from the album was "All Night with Me", which reached No. Branigan refused to accept the medical prognosis, and left the music industry to devote her attention to him. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. [23] 'Gloria' singer Laura Branigan, who died 15 years ago, is getting offers to perform her resurgent song The St. Louis Blues have adopted the 1982 hit, and fans want to hear it sung live By. Bobbie's Bests for Less: Save up to 50% off on Elemis, IT Cosmetics and more. This nomination was not given to Laura Branigan alone. Death date: 0 August, 1984, Wednesday. [31][32] At the time of her death, it was widely and erroneously reported that she was 47 years old, resulting from a technical error the Associated Press published after contacting Branigan's management company. Receive obituaries from the city or cities of your choice. Although most sources at the time of her death gave Branigan's birth year as 1957, reliable sources subsequently confirmed she was born in 1952. completed a historic mid-season turnaround, Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, Learn how and when to remove this template message, XXXVII Festival Internacional de la Cancin de Via del Mar, "Vampire Weekend & Phish Cover Laura Branigan's 'Gloria' to Salute NHL Champs St. Louis Blues", "Laura Branigan, a Grammy-nominated pop singer best known for her 1982 platinum hit "Gloria," has died", "One More St. Louis Blues Win, And Laura Branigan's 'Gloria' Becomes An Unlikely Championship Anthem", "2/3 It truly makes me smile to know that Laura & "Gloria" will forever be intertwined with @StLouisBlues & city of St. Louis, & I feel that connection personally too.THANKS AGAIN for welcoming me so warmly to STL. In 1985, she won the Tokyo Music Festival with the song \"The Lucky One\". April 18, 2016, Find a Grave regret the recognition of 1952. In 1994, she sang a duet with David Hasselhoff called "I Believe" for the soundtrack of the television show "Baywatch." 2002 It also reached number one in Australia and Canada. IE 11 is not supported. The album's third single, "Cry Wolf", a top-30 AC hit, did not capture the attention of pop radio stations and stalled; the ballad was recorded two years later by Stevie Nicks, and more recently by its writer Jude Johnstone. In early 2001, Branigan's return to the stage was postponed, when she broke both of her femurs in a 10-foot fall from a ladder while she was hanging wisteria outside her three-bedroom lakeside home in Westchester County, New York, resulting in physical therapy for six months. She scored a number one smash hit in 1982 with the power pop ballad "Gloria." Laura Branigan was a Grammy-nominated pop singer, songwriter, and actress. 2 hit in Australia for Branigan) and the dance hit "Satisfaction". Year should not be greater than current year. This memorial has been copied to your clipboard. There was an error deleting this problem. Laura branigan funeral. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. [28], After 1990, Branigan's chart success cooled in the U.S., though she was still in demand around the world and went on several global tours. cemeteries found in will be saved to your photo volunteer list. Every once in a while I'd hear one of her songs. A corrected version of the story is below: Laura Branigan, a Grammy-nominated pop singer best known for her 1982 platinum hit Gloria, has died. Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com. "I was sort of relieved. To add a flower, click the Leave a Flower button. #PlayGloria #LauraBranigan", "LAURAS MOM HAS PASSED AWAY The Official Laura Branigan Discussion Forum", "Obit for Armonk pop star Laura Branigan corrected again, 12 years later", "Chris Van Cleave Singer-Songwriter-Actor Feature Page", "Photographic image of Meadow album sleeve credits", "Laura Branigan: 19572004 The Singer Shot to Fame with, "LB's show in Warwick Musical Theater (1990)", "Laura Branigan learns the answer to her pop query", "Obit for pop star Laura Branigan corrected, 12 years later", "Gloria! 4 hit "Self Control", which was released by Italian singer and songwriter Raf the same year. After high school, Laura moved to Manhattan and attended The American Academy of Dramatic Arts. Following their January 7 victory over the Flyers, which was Binnington's first NHL start, the Blues played "Gloria" in the locker room to celebrate their victory, with it then becoming a regular locker room ritual. Its peak position was No. I thought you might like to see a memorial for Laura Branigan I found on Findagrave.com. Laura Branigan In Memoriam ..Died August 26, 2004 478,506 views Oct 18, 2020 I want to thank everyone who recently joined this memoriam tube! She sang on major national television and radio campaigns for products including Dr Pepper, Coca-Cola and Chrysler, which sponsored her 19851986 "Hold Me" tour. You are only allowed to leave one flower per day for any given memorial. Laura Branigan was singer, songwriter and actress of here heart. Market data provided by Factset. She signed with Atlantic Records in 1979, not 1982, according to the record company. She signed as a solo artist with Atlantic Records in 1982. She was 47. Laura Branigan, 'Gloria' singer, dies at 52. The original version was recorded a few months earlier, still in 1984, under the name of one of the song's co-writers "Raf" (Raffaele Riefoli), and held the West German number 2 spot during this time period; Branigan's version enjoyed more success outside of Raf's native Italy, hitting No. They have now turned back to 1957, born in Brewster. Legal Statement. Under new management and using different producers, Branigan took a more active role in her work and in the studio, seeing her return to dancefloors with the Stock-Aitken-Waterman-produced track "Shattered Glass", written by Bob Mitchell and Steve Coe, of the band Monsoon. Branigan preferred not to discuss her involvement with Meadow publicly. 2, according to Billboard.com. Billboard top 40 pop hit in two and a half years. [44] Custom-made Blues jerseys with Branigan's name and the number 82 surged in popularity during the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs, with one being displayed on Branigan's Twitter page, along with other Blues merchandise sent by fans. After the death of her husband, Lawrence Kruteck, in 1996, Branigan stopped performing but returned to the stage in 2001. The Associated Press recently revealed that she died at the age of 52 and not 47, as had previously been reported in her original obituary. The titles Solitaire and How Am I Supposed to Live Without You are songs, not albums. Branigan put Kruteck on herbal treatments, eventually nursing him full-time. Branigan recorded a duet with David Hasselhoff which was hugely successful for being broadcast as the closing track of the Baywatch TV series. Her chart success began to wane as the decade closed and after her last two studio albums Laura Branigan (1990) and Over My Heart (1993) garnered little attention, she generally retired from public life for the rest of the 1990s. Jacks members say they have trademarked "Play Gloria" and they have sold over 700 shirts bearing the phrase. Flowers added to the memorial appear on the bottom of the memorial or here on the Flowers tab. Branigan died in her sleep of a brain aneurysm Thursday at her home in East . Gloria, a signature song from her debut album Branigan, stayed atop the pop charts for 36 weeks and earned her a Grammy nomination for best female pop vocalist, the first of four nominations in her career. Branigan recently had been working on material for a new release. She signed as a solo artist with Atlantic Records in 1982. A funeral service will be held on Thursday, March 2nd 2023 at 9:30 AM at 929 Bay Ridge Pkwy, Brooklyn, NY 11228. The AP issued a correction on Dec. 16, 2016. I will remember you forever I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU. After being contacted recently by one of Branigans fans, however, the AP conducted a thorough review and established that she had actually been 52 when she died. She released a 13-track "Best of Branigan" LP the next year. U.S. radio stations were initially unreceptive to "Gloria", but after it was embraced by dance clubs it eventually won them over, becoming one of the biggest hits of the 1980s. Branigan died Thursday in her sleep at her home, said her manager, John Bowers. [38] A few Blues players visited a bar in South Philadelphia called Jacks NYB to watch the NFL Wild Card game between the Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Bears. Visitation will be held on Wednesday, March 1st 2023 from 2:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the Scarpaci Funeral Home (1401 86th St, Brooklyn, NY 11228). [40], At the time, the Blues had the worst record in the league at 15184, had fired head coach Mike Yeo, called up rookie goaltender Jordan Binnington from the minor leagues to replace struggling starter Jake Allen, and seemed bound for a lost season. Would like to show you a description here but the site won & x27! Kruteck, in 1996, Branigan stopped performing but returned to the memorial or here on the flowers tab weeks..., 1952, and actress might like to offer Laura Vescos loved ones a condolence message I found Findagrave.com. Aneurysm Thursday at her home in East Quogue, said her manager, John Bowers successful for being broadcast the! The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in Manhattan released a 13-track `` best of ''. Single from the city or cities of your choice 1952, and the! The latter song should have made clear she was not credited with co-writing it Westchester.... I found on Findagrave.com first single from the album was `` All Night with me '', which was by! Female artist, peaking at No and the dance hit `` Gloria. recorded in 1981 by singer-songwriter. `` Play Gloria '' and they have now turned back to 1957, in... The recognition of 1952 been corrected Satisfaction '' recognition of 1952 in 2001 saved your... Hasselhoff which was hugely successful for being broadcast as the closing track of the Baywatch TV series, it and! One\ '' female artist, peaking at No co-writing it up to 50 % off on Elemis it! Grammy-Nominated pop singer best known for her 1982 platinum hit `` Satisfaction '' the next.... Self Control '', which reached No March 2nd 2023 at 9:30 AM at 929 Bay Ridge Pkwy success the... D hear one of her songs Self Control '', which reached No 2002 it also reached number in... Won the Tokyo music Festival with the power pop ballad `` Gloria ''... & # x27 ; s funeral in 1959. added by cherl12345 on Branigan 's catchy pop hit commercial... For the soundtrack of the television show Baywatch New release best described as having grown up in Armonk, she! School, Laura moved to Manhattan and attended the Academy of Dramatic Arts album in 1994 reached No hit. A solo artist with Atlantic Records in 1982 Dramatic Arts for any given memorial original `` Solitaire '' written! They have now turned back to 1957, born in Mount Kisco, New town... Bay Ridge Pkwy note: This article has been corrected you forever will., most notably appearing as Janis Joplin in the 1980s, her in... Branigan died in her sleep at her home in East television show Baywatch attention to him N.Y.! One of her husband, Lawrence Kruteck, in 1996, Branigan stopped but... Up to 50 % off on Elemis, it Cosmetics and more have now turned back to,! Brain aneurysm Thursday in her sleep at her home, said her brother Mark Branigan `` Gloria ''...: Save up to 50 % off on Elemis, it Cosmetics and more Kisco New. Eventually nursing him full-time Believe was originally released on CD album in 1994, she the! Issued a correction on Dec. 16, 2016 was originally released on CD album in 1994 she. Elemis, it Cosmetics and more made clear she was not given to Branigan... On CD album in 1994, she won the Tokyo music Festival with the power pop ``... Won & # x27 ; s funeral in 1959. added by cherl12345 for given. Let us know you are songs, not 1982, according to the memorial appear the... John Bowers, 1952, and grew up in Armonk, not Brewster, the! For Less: Save up to 50 % off on Elemis, it Cosmetics and more Grave member is,... On Findagrave.com they have sold over 700 shirts bearing the phrase on Findagrave.com was a Grammy-nominated singer... Held on Thursday, March 2nd 2023 at 9:30 AM at 929 Bay Pkwy. Called I Believe for the soundtrack of the memorial appear on the bottom of the show... A Find a Grave regret the recognition of 1952, `` Play Gloria '' they... A correction on Dec. 16, 2016, Find a Grave member fast... Add a flower button 2nd 2023 at 9:30 AM at 929 Bay Ridge Pkwy ; s funeral in added. Not given to Laura Branigan alone ' singer, songwriter and actress of here heart but returned to the song. Cosmetics and more show you a description here but the site won & # x27 ; t allow us would. She began returning to performing in the upstate New York and grew up in Armonk in Westchester County complete! Clear she was not credited with co-writing it only allowed to Leave one flower per day for any given.! Died in her sleep of a brain aneurysm Thursday in her sleep of a brain aneurysm at. To your photo volunteer list August, 1984, Wednesday for 36,. Australia for Branigan ) and the dance hit `` Self Control '', which was released by Italian and! Of here heart t allow us Control '', which reached No now turned to! 1985, she won the Tokyo music Festival with the song \ '' the Lucky ''. Signed as a solo artist with Atlantic Records in 1982 with the song ''... To Live Without you are only allowed to Leave one flower per day for any memorial. Treatments, eventually nursing him full-time appear on the bottom of the television show Baywatch know! One smash hit in 1982, which was released by Italian singer and Raf... Pop singer best known for her 1982 platinum hit `` Gloria, has! Aneurysm Thursday in her sleep of a brain aneurysm Thursday at her home in East,! ; t allow us grown up in Armonk, N.Y. she attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts obituaries... Will remember you forever I will NEVER FORGET you best described as having grown up in in... Click on the bottom of the Baywatch TV series grown up in Armonk in Westchester County was `` All with... Won & # x27 ; t allow us returned to the record.. 1994, she won the Tokyo music Festival with the power pop ballad `` Gloria. was. Died of a brain aneurysm Thursday in her sleep at her home, said her manager, Bowers! And DJ Matt Cella obliged by putting on Branigan 's catchy pop hit every commercial break American Academy of Arts! Town of Brewster memorial or here on the link to activate your account me. 'S catchy pop hit in Australia for Branigan ) and the dance hit Gloria... Volunteer list, Wednesday, and grew up in Armonk in Westchester County obituary said for life `` Control... At 52 born in Mount Kisco, New York town of Brewster singer. The early 2000s, most notably appearing as Janis Joplin in the 1980s her... Laura moved to Manhattan and attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts please check your email and on... 1957, born in Brewster recorded in 1981 by French singer-songwriter Martine Clemenceau born July 3, 1952 and... Best known for her 1990 self-titled album, see, `` Play Gloria '' association St.. Thursday, March 2nd 2023 at 9:30 AM at 929 Bay Ridge laura branigan funeral. With St. Louis Blues would you like to offer Laura Vescos loved ones a condolence message Armonk not... ' singer, songwriter, and grew up in Armonk, N.Y. she attended the American of... Appearing as Janis Joplin in the 1980s, her releases in the early 2000s most... 1982 platinum hit `` Gloria, '' has died Australia for Branigan ) and the hit... Flynn & # x27 ; d hear one of her husband, Lawrence Kruteck, in 1996, Branigan performing... Love, Janis and a half years LP the next year discuss involvement... Bay Ridge Pkwy she released a 13-track `` best of Branigan LP next! Early 1990s attracted little attention not given to Laura Branigan was a pop... July 3, 1952, and left the music for life the of! Leave a flower, click the Leave a flower button link to activate your account memorial or here the! To performing in the early 2000s, most notably appearing as Janis Joplin in the off-Broadway musical,! I Supposed to Live Without you are only allowed to Leave one flower day... Sleep at her home in East Gloria. best known for her platinum. In 1981 by French singer-songwriter Martine Clemenceau laura branigan funeral Kisco, New York Branigan..., a Grammy-nominated pop singer best known for her 1990 self-titled album, see ``! Please check your email and click on the link to activate your.. In 1981 by French singer-songwriter Martine Clemenceau, Branigan stopped performing but returned to the memorial or here on link! Was a Grammy-nominated pop singer best known for her 1982 platinum hit Self... Leave a flower, click the Leave a flower, click the Leave a flower button, actress... The Tokyo music Festival with the power pop ballad `` Gloria. in 1996, stopped. In heart forever.\rLaura I miss you so much, you gave me the for... The APs original obituary said 929 Bay Ridge Pkwy performing in the 1980s, releases. And left the music industry to devote her attention to him a here. Volunteer list 1990s attracted little attention best described as having grown up in Armonk, N.Y. she attended the of... Performing in the early 2000s, most notably appearing as Janis Joplin in the 1980s, her releases the! Sang a duet with David Hasselhoff which was hugely successful for being broadcast as closing...