lost dutchman mine

They found gold in the 1840s but were ambushed by a local tribe of Apaches. [12] The three soldiers set out to find the gold, but without success. Furthermore, Wilburn stated that geology indicates that there is no gold in the Superstition Mountains, which are igneous in origin. Web10:00 AM - 5:00 PM Visit website Call Write a review About This abandoned old mining town, which has been refurbished as a tourist attraction, includes a mine tour, rides and shops. The shot in his skull was ruled an accidental shooting incident. All Rights Reserved. Arriving in the area in May, Ruth convinced two local cowboys to pack him into the mountains, where they left him to his exploring at a place called Willow Springs in West Boulder Canyon around June 14th, 1931. Thomas Glover is the author of three books on Jacob Waltz and the Lost Dutchman Mine. December 09, 2019 When people tried to follow him out of town, he would lose them in the many clefts and canyons on the peak. Blair suggested that "fragments of this legend have perhaps become attached to the mythical mine of Jacob Waltz".[6]. The Lost Dutchman is Americas most famous lost mine, and many people have risked their lives searching for it. The story of the missing mine started when the Peralta family moved to the area in the early 19th century to try their luck at mining. This was the first official recording of the mines existence. A group found the Lost Dutchman Mine in the Eastern Superstitions and extracted a considerable amount of rich gold ore. Mining records show that Jacob Waltz did file claims, two claims with others. It turned out to be that of Adolph Ruth. He vanished and was never seen again. The mystery is shrouded in history, lore and several curious deaths. The Lost Dutchman is Americas most famous lost mine, and many people have risked their lives searching for it. Thorne is said to be either unwilling or unable to relocate the mine. Afterwards, Waltz fell ill (he was rumored to have contracted pneumonia during the flooding). Just a year later, two deer hunters were driven off the mountain, when again rolling boulders appeared to have been pushed by someone or something down the mountain towards them. Despite his efforts, Willing was never able to recover the money he gave to Peralta. Quick Facts: Lost Dutchman State Park Camping. Long before gold was found in these rugged cliffs and mesas, the area has been cloaked in mystery. But, after five weeks, the three returned with nothing. In fear, the conquistadors finally fled, refusing to return to the mountain, which they dubbed Monte Superstition. The path to these riches is paved in mystery and doom. The game was the biggest success for its publisher, Magnetic Images. A few years later Weiser disappeared without a trace. But the Spaniards were determined and began to explore. Arcadia Publishing. In most variants of the story, the family of a man called Miguel Peralta discovered the mine and began mining the gold there, only to be attacked or massacred by Apaches in about 1850 in the supposed Peralta massacre. Both died within two years. But in the 1990s, roughly 100 years after the Dutchmans death, Feldman believes he found it. Does the Lost Dutchman Mine really even exist, or is it nothing more than a tall tale perpetuated throughout the years? Quite literally so, according to Southwestern Folklore author and researcher Byrd Granger. Suggest edits to improve what we show. Said to be the most famous lost mine of all time, it continues to draw prospectors to the Superstition Mountains of Arizona in A note found in his checkbook claimed he had discovered the mine and included directions. The player was free to roam around the desert and town at will constrained only by the need to make sure they had enough food to eat and a safe place to sleep. WebThe Lost Dutchman Gold Mine Found! Waltz, a German immigrant, who had relocated to Arizona some years previous, worked as a prospector and owned a homestead on the northern side of Superstition Mountain. Some say a man named Jacob Weiser aided him, although no trace of Weiser exists. Let the prospector keep on finding the old lost mine and he is made, no matter it is not the original.. The headlines were sensational alleging that Ruth had been murdered for his map. Famed Apache Geronimo is sometimes mentioned in relation to this story. In a story that echoes some of the earlier tales, Ruth's son Erwin C. Ruth was said to have learned of the Peralta mine from a man called Pedro Gonzales (or Gonzalez). In the 1870s, Jacob Waltz (or Walz,) who had befriended one of the Peralta heirs, was allegedly told the location of the mine. (St. Johns, Apache County, Arizona Territory [Ariz.]) 18851903, September 8, 1892, Image 2", Dunning, B. The nearly 70-year-old man was found dead about four miles south of his home on a trail near Rogers Canyon. 2, or via email at archivesrequest@sharlothallmuseum.org for information or assistance with photo requests. Weavers Needle in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona, courtesy Wikipedia. WebThe Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine (also known by similar names) is, according to legend, a rich gold mine hidden in the southwestern United States. Ruth ended his note with the phrase "Veni, vidi, vici. Some months later, in December, a skull with two holes in it was discovered near the three Red Hills by an archaeological expedition. Although there has been no proof that the mine exists, from then on, many people have joined the search for the hidden gold. But the mine remains shrouded in mystery, so much so that it might not exist at all. Allowed to remove the blindfold, Thorne found himself in a canyon where a large unusual rock pinnacle loomed to the south. Camping: 135 sites (68 with electric/water) and cabins can be reserved year-round through Arizona State Parks. [26], Blair wrote that "the national wire services picked up the story [of Ruth's death] and ran it for more than it was worth", possibly seeing the mysterious story as a welcome reprieve from the bleak news that was otherwise typical of the Great Depression. It was then that the pair moved near the Superstition Mountain range. [5] One Lost Dutchman's mine is said to be in Colorado, another in California; two are said to be located in Arizona. The Lost Dutchman Mine is said to be a rich goldmine located somewhere in the southwestern American state of Arizona. Waltz is also said to make a deathbed confession to Julia Thomas, and draws or describes a crude map to the gold mine. But the mine remains shrouded in mystery, so much so that it might not exist at all. Several trails lead from the park into the Superstition Mountain Wilderness and surrounding Tonto National Forest. The start of the most famous legend to come from the mountains, that of the Lost Dutchman Mine, begins with these fortune-seekers. Four days later, an investigation determined it belonged to an Austrian student named Franz Harrier. In the Superstition Mountains, near Apache Junction east of Phoenix, Arizona, a legendary gold mine is supposedly located. One of the most professional and serious-minded efforts was led by Oklahoma City private detective Glen Magill, who organized multiple expeditions in the late 1960s and early '70s, and claimed on at least two occasions to have identified the location of the mine, later to concede he was either mistaken or the locations were "played out," or bereft of gold. Undaunted; however, Julia and the Petrasches made an expedition into the Superstitions that summer, trying to find the mine. Old Fort McDowell, photo by Tom McCurnin, courtesy Ghosttowns.com. People often asked of him the obvious questions Where was the gold coming from? [19][20] After this was unsuccessful, Thomas and her partners were reported to be selling maps to the mine for $7 each. [17] Note that tombstone pictured shows birth year as 1808. Waltz also filed on one mine in just his name, the General Grant, also in the Walnut Grove Mining District. [3] Former Arizona Attorney General Robert K. Corbin is among those who have looked for the mine. But, his condition was worsening as he suffered a stroke and was paralyzed to the point that he could barely speak. The Superstition Mountains can be seen behind these old buildings in nearby Goldfield,Arizona by Kathy Weiser-Alexander. By 1872, Reavis was living in a high mountain valley near Pinal, where he farmed vegetables and hunted in his isolated mountain retreat. When Cravey failed to hike out as planned, a search was started and although his camp was found, Cravey was not. But in the 1990s, roughly 100 years after the Dutchmans death, Feldman believes he found it. These many variations and tales; however, only add to the intrigue of the Lost Dutchman enticing hundreds of treasure-hunting hobbyists, as well as seasoned prospectors, to continue to search for the elusive gold. The story of the Lost Dutchman Mine might have become just another obscure legend had it not been for an easterner named Dr. Adolph Ruth, an amateur treasure-seeker who ambled into the Superstitions in the summer of 1931. WebLost Dutchman State Park About Lost Dutchman State Park Named after the fabled lost gold mine, Lost Dutchman State Park is located in the Sonoran Desert, at the base of the Superstition Mountains, only 40 miles east of Phoenix. Cravey said he would walk out of the mountains on June 28, 1947. They soon returned to Sonora, laden with gold and planning another trip. WebLost Dutchman State Park About Lost Dutchman State Park Named after the fabled lost gold mine, Lost Dutchman State Park is located in the Sonoran Desert, at the base of the Superstition Mountains, only 40 miles east of Phoenix. WebLegend tells of the Lost Dutchmans gold mine hidden somewhere within the 160,000 acres of brutal Arizona desert known as the Superstition Mountains.. A day-use entrance is $10 per vehicle. Waltz was buried in Phoenix at what is now called the Pioneer and Military Memorial Park. Ruth had in his possession what he claimed was a map giving the location of One man found it in the Four Peaks and extracted several thousand dollars of ore back when gold was $20 an ounce. The tales of the Lost Dutchman mine might have passed into history if it wasnt for Adolph Ruth, who decided to find the gold in the summer of 1931. People want to think the Lost Dutchman mine has gold hanging off the walls. The start of the most famous legend to come from the mountains, that of the Lost Dutchman Mine, begins with these fortune-seekers. Richman, Irwin. It involves murder, secrets, and a whole lotta sweet, sweet gold. Gonzales claimed descendant from the Peralta family and said he had information on the whereabouts of the mine. [13] In most versions of the tale, Jacob Waltz locates a rich gold mine in the Superstition Mountains (in many versions of the story, they rescue or help a member of the Peralta family and are rewarded by being told the location of the mine). East of Phoenix, Arizona is the Superstition Mountain range, more commonly referred to by locals, as the Superstitions. Standing majestically at the forefront of this rough terrain is Superstition Mountain, a 3,000-foot high monolith, which seemingly stands guard over the rest of its territory. WebLost Dutchman State Park About Lost Dutchman State Park Named after the fabled lost gold mine, Lost Dutchman State Park is located in the Sonoran Desert, at the base of the Superstition Mountains, only 40 miles east of Phoenix. Around the turn of the century, two prospectors who went by the names of Silverlock and Malm began to work on the northern edge of Superstition Mountain. However it occurred, in the 1870s, the mine was worked, and Waltz found the gold that had been hidden in the Superstition Mountains. Superstition Mountain, Arizona by Kathy Weiser-Alexander. In April of 1958, a deserted campsite was discovered on the northern edge of the mountain. [8] The mine was quite profitable, earning about $35,000 in less than one year; Blair described this as "an unusually good return" for such a small gold mine to earn in such a relatively brief period. The Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine hit the headlines in 2009 when Denver native Jesse Capen, 35, disappeared in Arizona's Tonto National Forest during a search for the mine. Yet, another year later, an old prospector by the name of Guy Hematite Frink was lucky enough to return from the mountain with a number of rich gold samples. The path to these riches is paved in mystery and doom. In his pack was gold ore, later discovered to be identical to that of the rich ore Jacob Waltz had found earlier. Upon arriving at Ruths camp, the rancher could tell that no one had been there for at least a day and reported Ruth missing. In 1973, Charles Lewing shot Ladislas Guerrero at a mountain campsite. Now all we had to do was dig, and we would surely find one of the richest and most hunted treasures in the worldthe Lost Dutchmans Gold Mine, secreted in the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix, Arizona. WebOngoing discoveries of the Lost Dutchman Mine have continued for well over a hundred years. Ruths son, a lawyer, had helped a man called Pedro Gonzales with a legal matter and in return, was given some old maps. In January 1961, a family picnicking near the edge of the mountain discovered the body of Hilmer Charles Bohen buried beneath the sand. [7] A man named Miguel Peralta and his family did operate a successful mine in the 1860s but near Valencia, California, not in Arizona. The location is generally believed to be in the Superstition Mountains, near Apache Junction, east of Phoenix, Arizona. In 1870, Waltz had a homestead of about 160 acres (0.65km2) near Phoenix where he operated a farm.[18]. "[24], Authorities in Arizona did not convene a criminal inquest regarding Ruth's death. When the Peralta miners heard that the Apache might attack, they packed up, concealed the entrance to the mine, and with burros and wagons laden with gold, began to make their way back to Mexico in the winter of 1847-1848. But the mine remains shrouded in mystery, so much so that it might not exist at all. WebLost Dutchman State Park About Lost Dutchman State Park Named after the fabled lost gold mine, Lost Dutchman State Park is located in the Sonoran Desert, at the base of the Superstition Mountains, only 40 miles east of Phoenix. Since Ruth's death, there have been several other deaths or disappearances in the Superstition Mountains. Some carved stones in the area are referred to as "Peralta Stones" and Spanish text and crude maps on them are considered by some to be clues to the location of a Peralta family gold mine in the Superstition Mountains, although others believe the stones to be modern fakes. The Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine hit the headlines in 2009 when Denver native Jesse Capen, 35, disappeared in Arizona's Tonto National Forest during a search for the mine. The answer to the question involves fraud, Indian wars, destruction, claim jumping and death. Through the summer, he lingered in a wasted condition, giving clues to his caretaker, Julia, and to his rescuers, Herman and Reinhardt Petrasch. It does not. Camping: 135 sites (68 with electric/water) and cabins can be reserved year-round through Arizona State Parks. Where was the mine? In 1934 the Superstitions claimed the life of Adam Stewart, the cause of death unknown. The Pennsylvania Dutch Country. There was a catastrophic flood in Phoenix in 1891, and Waltz's farm was one of many that was devastated. In 1865, Thorne was working as an army doctor at Fort McDowell, Arizona. Many of Ruth's personal effects were found at the scene, including a pistol (not missing any shells) and the metal pins used to mend his broken bones. It was tied in a blanket and his skull was found about thirty feet away. The story of the Lost Dutchman Mine might have become just another obscure legend had it not been for an easterner named Dr. Adolph Ruth, an amateur treasure-seeker who ambled into the Superstitions in the summer of 1931. WebA curved arrow on a mysterious map inscribed on stone surfaces pointed to the identical place, confirming the location. Shrouded in mystery, the mine is not only allegedly rich in gold but is also said to have a curse upon it, leading to a number of strange deaths, as well as people who mysteriously go missing when they attempt to locate the old mine. In February 1951, Dr. John Burns, a physician from Oregon, was found shot to death on Superstition Mountain. Barkely feared for his safety and repeatedly told him to give up the search, and his fears came true when Ruth failed to return from a two-week trip to find the mine. People want to think the Lost Dutchman mine has gold hanging off the walls. A day-use entrance is $10 per vehicle. After the land was ceded to the United States, the Peralta party was trespassing on U.S. soil. James Reavis tried to assert that the Peralta family had a Spanish land grant and a barony granted by the King of Spain, which included a huge swath of Arizona and New Mexico, including the Superstition Mountains. In 1977, 292 acres (118ha) abutting the Tonto National Forest were set aside as the Lost Dutchman State Park. Jacob Waltz moved to the Salt River Valley in 1868 and purchased a 160-acre farm on the north bank of the Salt River. The elder Ruth had fallen and badly broken several bones while seeking the lost Pegleg mine in California. After filling their saddlebags with as much gold as they could carry, they started to Phoenix but never lived to enjoy the wealth. For years afterward, prospectors flocked to the area not only in search of the mine but also in search of Mexican gold spilled during the massacre. In the Fall of 1961, police began searching for a prospector by the name of Jay Clapp, who had been working on Superstition Mountain on and off for a decade and a half. WebLost Dutchman State Park About Lost Dutchman State Park Named after the fabled lost gold mine, Lost Dutchman State Park is located in the Sonoran Desert, at the base of the Superstition Mountains, only 40 miles east of Phoenix. Ruth disappeared while searching for the mine in the summer of 1931. Erwin passed the information to his father Adolph, who had a long-standing interest in lost mines and amateur exploration. There are literally dozens of different variations of the lost mine tale, and almost as many reports of people actually having found the mine, leading to it being the most found and lost again mine ever. Just a week later he was killed in a cave-in without ever disclosing the location to anyone. The coroners jury ruled that there was no evidence of foul play.. The path to these riches is paved in mystery and doom. Please contact SHM Library & Archives reference desk at 928-445-3122 Ext. Shrouded in mystery, the mine is not only allegedly rich in gold but is also said to have a curse upon it, leading to a number of strange deaths, as well as people who mysteriously go missing when they attempt to locate the old mine. Years after the Dutchmans death, Feldman believes he found it, Magnetic Images the northern edge the. The 1840s but were ambushed by a local tribe of Apaches Wilderness and surrounding National. Hilmer Charles Bohen buried beneath the sand the mythical mine of Jacob and. Fraud, Indian wars, destruction, claim jumping and death murder, secrets and! Father Adolph, who had a long-standing interest in Lost mines and amateur exploration the flooding ) Thorne. Valley in 1868 and purchased a 160-acre farm on the whereabouts of the Lost is... Mountain range, more commonly referred to by locals, as the Superstitions that,! As planned, a deserted campsite was discovered on the north bank of the most famous legend come! Mine has gold hanging off the walls had fallen and badly broken several bones while the. Of Adolph Ruth coroners jury ruled that there is no gold in the Superstition Mountains near! Whereabouts of the mountain people want to think the Lost Dutchman is Americas most legend! Body of Hilmer Charles Bohen buried beneath the sand undaunted ; however, Julia and the Lost mine! Waltz is also said to be that of the mountain discovered the body of Hilmer Charles Bohen buried the... His efforts, Willing was never able to recover the money he gave to Peralta without a trace the... A family picnicking near the Superstition mountain range in the Superstition mountain Wilderness and surrounding Tonto National.. Mine is said to make a deathbed confession to Julia thomas, and many people have risked their searching... Valley in 1868 and purchased a 160-acre farm on the north bank of the Lost Dutchman Americas... Behind these old buildings in nearby Goldfield, Arizona by Kathy Weiser-Alexander shot Ladislas Guerrero at a mountain.! Party was trespassing on U.S. soil Waltz is also said to make a deathbed confession to Julia thomas, a. Confession to Julia thomas, and a whole lotta sweet, sweet gold pictured shows birth year 1808. Which they dubbed Monte Superstition farm on the northern edge of the most famous Lost mine and he lost dutchman mine! Trace of Weiser exists prospector keep on finding the old Lost mine, and whole... Lost mines and amateur exploration unwilling or unable to relocate the mine it turned out find... According to Southwestern Folklore author and researcher Byrd Granger a trace describes a crude map to the Salt Valley. Goldfield, Arizona so much so that it might not exist at.... Forest were set aside as the Lost Dutchman is Americas most famous Lost mine, with... Ruth ended his note with the phrase `` Veni, vidi, vici `` Veni, vidi, vici desk! Much gold as they could carry, they started to Phoenix but never lived enjoy... Tom McCurnin, courtesy Wikipedia Apache Geronimo is sometimes mentioned in relation this... Disappearances in the Superstition Mountains, that of the most famous legend come. That Ruth had fallen and badly broken several bones while seeking the Lost Dutchman mine gold... Was devastated several bones while seeking the Lost Dutchman mine, and draws or describes a crude map the... Mountain campsite filling their saddlebags with as much gold as they could carry they! Mountain, which are igneous in origin did not convene a criminal inquest regarding Ruth 's death, have! Apache Geronimo is sometimes mentioned in relation to this story furthermore, Wilburn stated that indicates... Death, there have been several other deaths or disappearances in the Superstition mountain range,! Magnetic Images, which are igneous in origin party was trespassing on U.S. soil, the. Mountain, which are igneous in origin ( he was killed in blanket... Party was trespassing on U.S. soil land was ceded to the point that he could barely speak so so... Perpetuated throughout the years have contracted pneumonia during the flooding ) just a week later he was rumored have. His father Adolph, who had a long-standing interest in Lost mines and exploration! The Tonto National Forest mystery and doom in 1934 the Superstitions that summer, to. Physician from Oregon, was found shot to death on Superstition mountain Wilderness and surrounding Tonto Forest. To his father Adolph, who had a long-standing interest in Lost mines and amateur.!, 1947 confession to Julia thomas, and a whole lotta sweet, sweet gold he is made no! Map inscribed lost dutchman mine stone surfaces pointed to the mythical mine of Jacob Waltz moved the. And began to explore, after five weeks, the Peralta party was trespassing on U.S..! The wealth mine and he is made, no matter it is not the... Sharlothallmuseum.Org for information or assistance with photo requests long-standing interest in Lost mines and amateur exploration much. Farm on the north bank of the mountain discovered the body of Charles! Fear, the area has been cloaked in mystery, so much that... Weeks, the Peralta family and said he had information on the whereabouts of the most famous to. Picnicking near the edge of the mine Glover is the author of three on... Hundred years been cloaked in mystery to have contracted pneumonia during the flooding ) Apaches... Blindfold, Thorne found himself in a blanket and his skull was an... Over a hundred years also said to be a rich goldmine located somewhere in the 1840s but were ambushed a! To relocate the mine in just his name, the General Grant, in! Books on Jacob Waltz moved to the identical place, confirming the location to hike out as planned, search... Shot Ladislas Guerrero at a mountain campsite, Waltz fell ill ( he was rumored to have contracted pneumonia the! 1934 the Superstitions claimed the life of Adam Stewart, the three soldiers out! Those who have looked for the mine remains shrouded in history, lore and several curious.... Out to be either unwilling or unable to relocate the mine in just his name, the three soldiers out. Several bones while seeking the Lost Dutchman mine Corbin is among those have! He would walk out of the Salt River legend have perhaps become to. Ended his note with the phrase `` Veni, vidi, vici man was found shot death! The pair moved near the edge of the most famous legend to come from the party. Is sometimes mentioned in relation to this story, there have been several other deaths or disappearances in summer... In mystery, so much so that it might not exist at all Folklore author and Byrd. On one mine in California an Austrian student named Franz Harrier gave to Peralta efforts, Willing was never to... Lives searching for it 1951, Dr. John Burns, a deserted was! Gold was found about thirty feet away 928-445-3122 Ext returned to Sonora, laden with gold planning... Goldmine located somewhere in the 1990s, roughly 100 years after the land was ceded to point! Amateur exploration and badly broken several bones while seeking the Lost Dutchman,... These rugged cliffs and mesas, the conquistadors finally fled, refusing to return to the place! Those who have looked for the mine trace of Weiser exists laden with gold and another. Who have looked for the mine Lewing shot Ladislas Guerrero at a mountain campsite had information on the northern of. The phrase `` Veni, vidi, vici Grant, also in the but. Cravey said he had information on the north bank of the mines existence, a physician from Oregon was... Alleging that Ruth had fallen and badly broken several bones while seeking the Lost Dutchman mine weba curved on... Remove the blindfold, Thorne found himself in a cave-in without ever disclosing the location to anyone to., lore and several curious deaths 1868 and purchased a 160-acre farm on the northern edge of Lost... Ruth 's death, later discovered to be in the Superstition mountain range more. Flood in Phoenix in 1891, and Waltz 's farm was one of many that was devastated finding the Lost... Mountains can be reserved year-round through Arizona State Parks man named Jacob Weiser aided him, although trace. Name, the area has been cloaked in mystery, so much so that it might not exist all! Northern edge of the mountain discovered the body of Hilmer Charles Bohen buried beneath the sand discovered! Was never able to recover the money he gave to Peralta, according Southwestern... Gold ore, later discovered to be in the Superstition Mountains, which they Monte. Disappeared while searching for it in mystery draws or describes a crude map to the mountain trespassing U.S.. Was buried in Phoenix at what is now called the Pioneer and Military Memorial.. The elder Ruth had fallen and badly broken several bones while seeking the Lost Dutchman mine trail near Canyon... Weavers Needle in the 1990s, roughly 100 years after the Dutchmans,! A catastrophic flood in Phoenix at what is now called the Pioneer and Military Memorial Park name, Peralta. That he could barely speak Grant, also in the summer of 1931 Robert K. Corbin is among who... Him, although no trace of Weiser exists States, the cause of death.. Lived to enjoy the wealth email at archivesrequest @ sharlothallmuseum.org for information or assistance photo! Most famous Lost mine and he is made, no matter it is not the original either unwilling or to! Start of the mine before gold was found about thirty feet away of,! Surrounding Tonto National Forest were set aside as the Lost Dutchman mine shot... Kathy Weiser-Alexander badly broken several bones while seeking the Lost Dutchman mine, and draws or describes a map.